Red Faction (N-Gage)
|Red Faction (N-Gage)|
|RF N-Gage Box Art|
|Released||Dec 10, 2003 (NA) |
Dec 12, 2003 (EU)
Red Faction N-Gage is a 2003 port of the first Red Faction game to Nokia's N-Gage platform. The port was developed by John Romero and Tom Hall's Monkeystone Games studio. John Romero has stated that he didn't play Red Faction prior to developing the N-Gage port. Red Faction N-Gage has both a single player campaign, and a peer-to-peer multiplayer component for up to 2 players connected via Bluetooth.
The RF N-Gage single player campaign roughly replicates the Red Faction campaign. The player again assumes the role of Parker, several sequences are very similar, and many of the level design choices reflect levels from the original game. Throughout the game, the player battles many familiar enemies, including Ultor Guards, Elite Guards, Spike Drones, and Mutants - plus 2 "boss" enemies in Capek and Masako.
RF N-Gage multiplayer supports 2 players, joined via Bluetooth connection. Combat is very simple and is limited to only duel. RF N-Gage multiplayer is without a doubt the least accessible part of the game - it requires 2 compatible N-Gage hardware devices be within Bluetooth range, running Red Faction, and attempting to organize a game. Given the scarcity of N-Gage hardware devices even at the time of the game's release, it's safe to assume that Red Faction N-Gage's multiplayer component was never widely utilized. Furthermore, current emulation techniques are not compatible with the multiplayer component of the game.
RF N-Gage Multiplayer contains many of the weapons from the single player component and 5 entirely purpose-built custom levels that bare no resemblance to levels from the original Red Faction game.
Red Faction N-Gage Multiplayer Levels
- 01: Hellpit - Small industrial-themed arena consisting of 3 small hallways surrounding a larger room which contains a Fusion Rocket Launcher.
- 02: Betrayal - Complex maze of corridors with rusted metal walls and black ceilings accented by an assortment of storage crates.
- 03: Damagehall - Very simple merc base-themed level containing 2 large rooms and hallways connecting them.
- 04: Destructor - Arena level containing 2 large rooms connected by straight hallways arranged in a grid.
- 05: Jackhammer - The most vertical level in the game, this level contains 2 moderately-sized rooms connected by hallways and a upper vent the player can drop from to surprise their opponent.
All five RF N-Gage multiplayer levels have been ported to the PC version of the game and are available for download from FactionFiles: N-Gage RF MP Collection
|Core Games: Red Faction - Red Faction II - Red Faction: Guerrilla (Demons of the Badlands) - Red Faction: Armageddon|